Monday 16 April 2012

Doing my bit against Corruption a.k.a "Brashtachar"

It doesnt take a Anna Hazare or any Tahrir Square like movement to understand and reflect upon the topic of corruption. And neither do you have to be physically present in any such movements to fight against it. To me it is more simpler than a movement to out-throw a dictatorship regime or a Draconian rule, where u are in larger risk to lose your life by braving the bullets. The truth is being a huge nation with different ethnic and regional groups only movements which has a common  footing amongst all of us would bring together everyone. We Indians are probably in the most comfortable part of the world where exist a shortcut for everything. For me the essence of this corruption lies in the shortcuts available for you to get the job done. Whether its about getting a birth certificate for your new born baby or to get a death certificate for your recently demised dear one. Corruption has become a vicious birth to death life cycle in a aam aadmi's life.

If only everyone ends up doing their bit right as per the prescribed laws and rules of our great democracy we may then deprive the policemen, babus, and the political big-shots the room to become corrupt. As an example let me try explaining a very little bit, that I did to thwart corruption. Not many would even categorize this act of mine as an anti-corruption one but I would like prove them wrong. For the past few months I have been traveling through the Mumbai-Bangalore highway (probably one of the busiest thread of the national quadrilateral) and every time I pass the toll plaza located in the Pune - Kolhapur stretch I pay them 50 Rs as against 52 Rs to zip ahead and out of the vehicle-agoraphobic environment in the toll plaza without caring for the receipt, little did I realise that my negligence to pay the exact fee and get the receipt makes a big impact when you consider the volume of vehicles plying across the stretch. But let me tell you I'm probably one of those aam aadmi stupids who end up filling the pockets of the goon who owns the toll or the babu/politicos who indirectly gain out of this. It's only few weeks back that I realised after a reading a small article online, which could have probably gone unnoticed when compared to the other news making headlines. Though the article was small the truth expressed was enormous and comes as a jolt of shock, when you realise the scale of money siphoned off before your naked eyes. 

Jaihind !!

Sabareesan Sankaran

No comments:

Post a Comment